Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another post? really?

Who would have guessed that I would post something new? Not me. So, you know how there seems to be a "condition" for every aspect of somebody's personality? Once, someone who might have been called "flighty" now has ADD or ADHD. Do you or your child tend to fight back or argue? Well, there's a condition for that: ODD. (Oppositional Defiance Disorder). Are you a neat freak? No, you're OCD. Do you have trouble socializing? Used to be, you were just "shy". Now it's called Asperger's Syndrome. That's unofficially me. I don't think I'd want to know officially, anyway. I'd rather not have some shrink poking at my brain. Well let's see. According to the Mayo clinic website:

Signs and symptoms of Asperger's syndrome include:
*Engaging in one-sided, long-winded conversations, without noticing if the listener is listening or trying to change the subject (ok I don't do the long-winded conversations bit, but I'm not too good at noticing the person I'm talking to.)
*Displaying unusual nonverbal communication, such as lack of eye contact, few facial expressions, or awkward body postures and gestures (I'm terrified of eye contact)
*Showing an intense obsession with one or two specific, narrow subjects, such as baseball statistics, train schedules, weather or snakes (Does having an obsession with WoW and Doctor Who count?)
*Appearing not to understand, empathize with or be sensitive to others' feelings (I'm terrible at empathizing)
*Having a hard time "reading" other people or understanding humor (Isn't it embarrasing when you get the joke a minute after everyone else is done laughing.)
*Speaking in a voice that is monotonous, rigid or unusually fast (I have a naturally deep voice. ... What?! My
*Moving clumsily, with poor coordination (I broke my finger by tripping on a flat sidewalk)
*Having an odd posture or a rigid gait

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspergers-syndrome/ds00551/dsection=symptoms

Ok. That's that for now. Maybe more later?

1 comment:

Cat Herself said...

Trust me - you do not have Asperger's. LOL Goof!